The following post contains affiliate links, which sends me a small percentage of any sales at no cost to you.
I’m on the tail-end of a writer’s retreat on a ranch in Santa Fe! I don’t often take rugged trips, but although I’m not camping, this is rugged to me 🙂
I thought I’d share what I packed for the trip if you’re planning something similar.
Before heading out, I was told the weather would be in the 80s during the day and 50s at night, and I’m planning to hike and horseback ride while I’m there.
This is a writer’s retreat, so our morning is entirely group classes and workshops. I did pack a fresh outfit for each day since I wasn’t sure how sweaty and gross I’d get. For each day, I packed:
- Biker shorts (to wear to class and hiking)
- Oversized t-shirt
- Tennis shoes
- Hiking boots (waterproof)
- Ribbed cotton leggings (for nighttime gatherings)
- Fleece jacket (for nighttime gatherings). I have a North Face jacket that I take on pretty much every trip!
I also packed my raincoat, flip-flops for the shower and pool, a swimsuit, a baseball hat, jeans for horseback riding, slippers, and a comfy pair of pajamas.
Read more about my comfy packing list for any occasion.
Of course, I brought all the usual things I would need, but since this trip is a little more on the adventurous side, I packed items that would bring me comfort when I need it:
- Multipurpose balms for face, hair, scrapes, bug bites, etc. I like Lanolips and Kopari (brought both).
- CBD relief lotions and balms for any sore muscles, feet, etc.
- Bandaids + moleskin for sore feet
- Moisturizers, including those for face, hands, body, etc. (assuming the air will be dry)
- First aid supplies and general meds (pain killers, Tums, flu meds, cold meds, throat drops)
- Sunscreen. I packed Glowscreen SPF 40 for my face, SunBum SPF 30, and SuperGoop Glow Stick SPF 50 for my body.
- Bug repellant. I packed Buggy Bands and Murphy’s Balm.
- Megababe shower wipes for freshness between showers
- CBD drops (500 mg) for general anxiety symptoms
My lodging at the ranch includes a meal plan, and I was able to get a vegetarian option, so I know I won’t go hungry! But, we were advised to bring snacks. I brought:
- Peanut butter packets (I like Spread the Love)
- Freeze-dried fruit
- Liquid IV
- Protein bars (I like GoMacro and Lenny & Larry’s)
- Trail mix
- Cheese crackers
- Chocolate (anything from Unreal is my favorite!)
Read more about my TSA-friendly plant-based snacks.
Items for the writing portion of the trip, along with other random things I packed just in case…
- iPad (didn’t feel like lugging my laptop)
- Bluetooth keyboard (mine is purple and has a groove to fit my phone + iPad)
- Apple Pencil (I have the purple Kalifee stylus)
- Notebook + journal (I like anything from Yoobi)
- Books to read (I packed “The Queen’s Gambit” and “The messy Lives of Book People“)
- Reading light (I bought the Really Tiny Reading Light and love it!)
I’ll report back and make note if anything was not-needed or if I completely forgot something vital (ughh).
To see more writing from me, be sure to subscribe to The Bitter Lemon by clicking “subscribe” on the right side of your screen. Want even more? Subscribe to my newsletter to get roundups, book recs and lifestyle tips.