And so here we are again, tomorrow is the last day of 2013, and if you’re anything like me, you’re wondering, “Where has the time gone?”
Each year seems to fly by faster than the one before it, no matter how hard we try to slow things down, savor the moments, pack our days, sleep less… such is life, right?
Two things will probably happen over these next 48 hours: lots of reflection, and heavy amounts of drinking.
I’ll get to the latter in just a second. As 2013 comes to a close, it’s easy for me to sit back and say, “Wow, this has been a trying year.” I went through one of the most heartbreaking relationships of my life; I had family turmoil; and I had financial stress.
But when I give myself a break, and really think, yes, I did have some hard times, but I survived them. I also published three books! I bought a car. I got a new kitty, Blanche. I got several new freelance gigs. And I even revamped this blog!
It’s been a good year; truly, and if you’re reading this, you’ve had something to do with it, so thank you! I am really looking forward to sharing more with you in 2014 (whoa, that feels weird to write).
So, how about that drinking? You know I’m always looking for ways to cut calorie corners, so I found some guilt-free recipes you can sip without a care. Cheers!
- Sparkling vodka cranberry: If you’re usually ordering a vodka with cranberry juice; save a few sugary calories by ordering a vodka with a splash of soda water and a splash of cranberry juice. You’ll get a fruity taste without as many calories…and don’t forget a squeeze of lime!
- Pineapple Cooler. Half white wine, half club soda, and a splash of pineapple juice (or juice of your choice. Garnish with a fresh slice of fruit (recipe inspired from the Playboy Bartender’s Guide).
- French 75…with a twist. This is one of my favorite cocktails, made with gin, lemon, cointreau, and champagne. To reduce a few calories, put a squeeze of lemon in your flute, fill with champagne (or half bubbly, half club soda), add a splash of gin and a splash of orange juice. Yum!
- Skinnygirl in a bottle. Bethenny Frankel has made skinny cocktails pretty easy with her line of low-calorie (yet delicious) wines, vodka, and cocktails in a bottle. So, if you’re heading to a BYOB party, stock up on something good!
- Mexican Coffee. This will warm you right up when the night is coming to a close. Simply add a shot of Kahlua to your hot coffee, and a dash of cinnamon. Enjoy!
Here’s a few other fun New Year’s Eve items I came across:
- Gold Glitter Martini Glasses
- Essie Set In Stones Nail Polish
- Lipstick Queen Discovery Kit
- Caspari Celebration Crackers
Wherever you are, and whatever you do this New Year’s Eve, be safe and have fun! Happy New Year!