Happy Mother’s Day! I hope all the moms out there are able to celebrate today, even if you’re a cat mom, a plant mom, a step-mom, any kind of mom! I talked to my mom on the phone while she opened her gifts, and I’m spending the day with my fur-baby Blanche.
I know it’s a little late for a Mother’s Day Gift Guide but I couldn’t share what I got my mom until today since that would give up the secret! However, I thought these might be good ideas for anyone if you still need to get a gift, or perhaps you have a friend or your mom’s birthday is coming up, or heck, maybe it’s time you treated yourself!
Here’s what I sent my mom for Mother’s Day:
My mom often works out at her office’s gym or yoga studio before work or during her lunch hour, so I wanted to get a few things she could put in her workout bag. I saw these post-workout wipes and wasn’t sure if they would be useful, but thought they’d be fun to try, and she was excited when she opened them. I’ve seen several different brands and scents, so the options are endless! Here are some I’ve seen:
- Busy Beauty Showerless Body Wipes – These are individually wrapped and have peppermint, tea tree and lavender oil
- Clinique Post Workout Face and Body Cleansing Swipes – Clean and refreshing the skin while prepping it for makeup.
- Bliss Lemon & Sage Refreshing Body Wipes – These are paraben-free, vegan, and naturally deodorizing.
Hydrating Cooling Stick
I have an under-eye cooling stick and I love to use it before yoga (especially hot yoga) to keep me cool and motivated during class. I thought my mom might enjoy one, too. There are so many different kinds of cooling sticks out there, depending on what you’re looking for — moisture, primer, cooling, de-puffing, etc.
- Iceland Hydrating Eye Stick – Enjoy a natural cooling sensation from Iceland mineral water
- Milk Makeup Cooling Water – Paraben-free, vegan, with caffeine to support micro circulation
- Burt’s Bees Hydrating Stick with Aloe Water – Provides instant moisture and is travel-friendly
NYX Butter Gloss
Who doesn’t love NYX Butter Gloss? I’ve tried a few before and love how soft they are, never sticky, and they are only $5 so you can try allllll of the different colors they have. Each one provides sheer-to-medium coverage, so you really can’t go wrong. I got my mom the shade “Tiramisu”, which is a nude pink hue.
- NYX Butter Gloss – Sheer/medium coverage with a sweet scent
- NYX Intense Butter Gloss – Same texture as original Butter Gloss, but with more intense color
- NYX Butter Lipstick – Melts into lips with sheer coverage and a satin finish
- NYX Butter Lipbalm – Subtle color with lots of shine and moisture
Madécasse Madagascar Chocolate Bar
My mom is a proud chocoholic, so I couldn’t send her a proper gift box without some quality dark chocolate inside. I picked the salted almond bar from Madécasse – it’s direct, fair trade dark chocolate and its delicious!
Dry Shampoo Foam
Another item for my mom’s gym bag! I’m a huge fan of dry shampoo, but now there are so many different options out there from powders and balms, and foam! I looked at so many different ones and many of them I’d never seen before.
- OGX Active Beauty Green Tea Fitness Dry Shampoo Foam – No sulfates, dyes or parabens with the antioxidants from green tea
- OUAI Dry Shampoo Foam – Refreshes, adds volume, and conditions hair from the root
- DRYBAR Detox Whipped Dry Shampoo Foam – Ultra-light foam that whips hair into shape, while staying safe for color treated locks
Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
My mom has given up watching the news in the morning in an effort to start the day with more positive energy, so I thought a small Bluetooth speaker would be useful for listening to music or podcasts while getting ready, or even outdoors on the weekends.
- XLEADER Bluetooth Speaker – HD sound with 12-hour playtime and an LED touch design
- Sony XBIO Portable Wireless Speaker – Extra bass, water-resistant, 16-hour battery, and comes in several colors
- SHAVA Night Light Bluetooth Speaker – 3 levels of brightness, 10 hours of playtime, touch control LED
“Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens
This book has been on my mom’s reading list for months (I also have it on reserve at the library), so I bought the hardback version. Here is the book’s description: For years, rumors of the “Marsh Girl” have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life–until the unthinkable happens.
…And there you have it! I hope you all had a great Mother’s Day!
If you’d like to see more writing from me, I curate and edit an email newsletter focused on local news and entertainment in Austin, Texas, called Inside Austin. It comes out every Tuesday and Thursday, but once I hit 3,000 subscribers, it gets a third day of publishing. Sign up to get Tuesday’s newsletter and/or read past issues!