Boyfriend Recipe: Sausage pizza!
The last time I had a boyfriend, I introduced him to my mom over pizza. Homemade pizza. I actually made three different kinds that day, because… pizza. And Martha Stewart’s Sausage, Arugula and Parsley pizza was one of them and it was supremely delish!
- 6 ounces of sweet Italian sausage (or spicy, if you’re up for it)
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound of store-bought pizza dough (don’t be afraid of the Pilsbury wheat)
- 3 whole peeled canned tomatoes, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (or two, or three)
- 4 ounces of fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Remove the sausage from casings, saute over high heat, until just cooked through: 3-4 minutes. Break into bite-sized pieces.
- Brush a 12-inch cast iron skillet with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Press dough into the skillet, so it’s flat and reaches to all of the edges. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, prepare a baking sheet and follow baking instructions on the dough package once the toppings are on the pizza.
- Combine tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, 1 tablespoon of oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and red pepper. Spread over the dough.
- Cook (in the skillet) over medium-high heat until bottom is golden brown, 3-4 minutes, before transferring to the oven to bake for 3 minutes. Scatter the mozzarella and sausage on top; continue baking until edge of crust is golden brown, about 8 minutes. Garnish with parsley, arugula, and Parmesan.
Posted on August 6, 2015, in The Recipe and tagged boyfriend recipe, cooking, dirty thirty, healthy, Holly A. Phillips, homemamde, Louisiana, pizza, recipe, sausage, spicy, The Bitter Lemon. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.