The following post contains affiliate links, which sends me a small percentage of any sales at no cost to you.
Greetings from day 9 of my self-quarantine! I am trying to mix things up over here, as far as content goes, keeping some of it the same way it’s always been and some of it quarantine related.
Today, I’ve got a beauty product review that’s been on the list for a little while: the Tarte Shape Tape Glow Wand.
This is the item ALL the beauty bloggers and influencers have been raving about… so, when it was on sale a few months back, I ordered it to see for myself how it worked. Here’s the product description from Ulta:
Get glowing with Tarte’s Shape Tape Glow Wand, an instant eye lift in a bottle! This vegan liquid brightener is formulated with a proprietary diamond complex to diffuse light, giving it a blurred, soft-focus filtered finish to turn back the clock on tired-looking undereyes.
• Pairs perfectly with shape tape concealer for a lifted, illuminated look
• Helps boost radiance & smooths appearance of skin with micro-fine pearl pigments
• Diamond complex technology diffuses light to create a soft-focus effect wherever applied – it’s never glittery or shimmery
• Plush applicator & removable sponge for easy application & blending
4 Ways to Glow:
• Over Shape Tape Concealer for an instant eye lift
• Alone for sheer no-makeup magic
• Mixed with moisturizer or primer for all-over radiance
• On high points of the face, collarbones & décolletage to highlight
Why Tarte loves it? It gives you a youthful, healthy glow wherever we apply! Mix with Shape Tape Concealer for star power perfection.
• Porcelain Flower Extract: known to have soothing & microcirculation effects while illuminating skin
• Mango Seed Butter: moisturize, condition and protect against free radical damage
• Shea Butter: moisturizes & nourishes skin
• Licorice Root Extract: brightens the appearance of dark circles & color corrects
• Mineral Pigments: soothe & soften skin
• Diamond Powder: helps blur imperfections & diffuse light
It’s $25, has a flat applicator and has a small blending sponge on one end. I got the shade A Light, which is the second-lightest one of the options.
So, I’m just going to say it: this product really doesn’t do anything for me. It’s not enough coverage to use alone and there’s not enough sheen to really provide a glow. I tried it with and without my concealer (I’m currently using Bliss Illuminating Under Eye Concealer).
Now, normally I wouldn’t use this space to bash a product — I’d rather tell you the products that WOULD work instead. But, this product has gotten so much hype, I find it necessary to tell you to save your money.
Instead, I found other products that could provide much better glow, especially if you’re looking to use it in the same places you’d use concealer for contouring: under the eye, on the bridge of the nose, Cupid’s bow, etc. Heres my list:
Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Highlight – This thing is pretty awesome! I have been using the shade 01 Hefty Highlight and it’s a light pink shimmer. It would be perfect on top of concealer or foundation, or you could mix it with a tinted moisturizer. Very lightweight and blend-able.
Benefit Dandelion Twinkle – This is my favorite product on the list. I got it for Christmas and it is the perfect light pink powder with a subtle shimmer! I love using it to set my under eye area, and even my eyelid if I’m using an eye primer.
Mac Strobe Cream – This is a good sheer, pearl shimmer that could be used alone or mixed with concealer for a a homemade “glow wand” look, but better.
Benefit High Beam – This is another pink liquid highlighter that really packs a punch. Mix this in with concealer or foundation or use it alone as a highlighter. Good for those who really want a metallic finish.
Ulta Beauty Liquid Highlighter – This is a golden shade, but sheer enough to give that inner glow. This would be good to mix with moisturizer or foundation for an all over glow.
Cynthia Rowley Brightening Illuminator – This is more of a pearly pink shade and would work under the eyes or on the high points of the face.
Wander Glowtion – This has more of a bronze tint, so it would depend on your skin tone, as for the best place to put it. If you’ve got darker skin, you could use this all over. If you’re more fair, use it where you’d use a bronzer.
That’s many take — skip the Glow Wand — and buy an actual liquid highlighter!
This beauty review is not sponsored — nor are any of the reviews on this blog. I am a beauty and skincare junkie and enjoy sharing the products I love right here! For more reviews and similar posts, please subscribe to the blog by clicking subscribe on the right side of your screen. Cheers!